This is the Tuesday, November 29, 2022 full edition of the Tapestry newsletter of upcoming events and announcements. All events are open to anyone who wishes to join, except where otherwise noted.
Quick Links to Contents:
Upcoming Sunday Service at 11:00 AM:
by Linda Irish
Children and Youth Religious Education
Children and Youth RE will be holding a planning meeting. If you did not receive an email about this please use the following link so that we can determine the best time for the most people. https://whenisgood.net/ekewa9f
Tapestry Book Club
Last month we enjoyed reading Neuromancer so much we will be reading William Gibson's other book "The Peripheral" next month. Everyone is invited to join our book club on Thursday, November 17th at 6:30 on Zoom.
William Gibson returns with his first novel since 2010's New York Times best-selling Zero History.
Where Flynne and her brother, Burton, live, jobs outside the drug business are rare. Fortunately, Burton has his veteran's benefits, for neural damage he suffered from implants during his time in the USMC's elite Haptic Recon force. Then one night Burton has to go out, but there's a job he's supposed to do - a job Flynne didn't know he had. Beta-testing part of a new game, he tells her. The job seems to be simple: work a perimeter around the image of a tower building. Little buglike things turn up. He's supposed to get in their way, edge them back. That's all there is to it. He's offering Flynne a good price to take over for him. What she sees, though, isn't what Burton told her to expect. It might be a game, but it might also be murder.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Big Questions / Deep Listening
The Big Questions, Deep Listening Covenant Group meets the 2nd and last Sunday of each month from 4 to 5:30 pm CDT on Zoom using the same link as our Sunday services. New members are welcome. Come join our discussions about the big questions we all face. See our video at: https://youtube.com/shorts/TzK5TTkXljo. Please email BQDL@uutapestry.org for more information.
Third Principle Team (3PT) - Your Leadership Development and Nominations Team
Leadership Development Opportunities
We are happy to report that we have invested in training for two of our members for the Southern Region UUA Essential Leadership Experience webinar series. We hope that key insights can be shared at future program council meetings later in the fall or winter.
Nominating and Leadership Placement
We are seeking someone to join the Membership Team, either as a lead or an additional member. 3PT will be discussing potential candidates for the position of President-Elect in November. If you are interested or want to suggest someone for either of these positions, email us at email@example.com.
Tapestry Disc Golf!
Everyone is invited to join in. It’s good fun, companionship, and a great way to get out in nature. All skill levels are welcome, and loaner discs are available. There are a variety of attractive and challenging courses in the NW Houston area, and we sometimes organize weekend trips to sample other venues. To learn more, request to join the Tapestry Disc Golfers Facebook group, where game times and locations are decided, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. See you on the course!
The Tapestry Brew
Crew meets at a different brewery every 3rd Sunday at 2 pm. All are welcome,
even if you don’t drink beer! On Dec. 18th we'll be meeting at Fortress
BeerWorks, 2606 Spring Cypress Rd. close to where Spring Cypress intersects
with FM 2920, https://www.fortressbeerworks.com/. We went there before in 2019. Carpooling
will be available from CJCN if desired.
CUUPs will meets every 2nd Saturday of the month at 3pm. This is a hybrid meeting, zoom and in person. For more information see uutapestry.org/cuups or email email@example.com.
Holiday Cookie Exchange
Change in Policy for Holiday Cookie Exchange for 2022!!!
We are hosting a Holiday Cookie Exchange on Saturday, December 3, at 3:00 PM. Take care of all your cookie needs for the holidays and have fun socializing with your friends! The exchange is welcome to all; you do not need to be a member of the congregation to participate.
We don’t have child care for this event, so keep the kiddos at home. If your child or children have to come with you, feed them beforehand - CHILDREN WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO SAMPLE THE GOODIES (until you're home and they demolish yours).
So that the exchange is fair to everyone, we're adopting some rules we found online:
- What Do I Need To Bring : 10 dozen of One Kind of Cookie or you can break it into 5 dozen each of 2 kinds of cookies. One dozen will be for sampling, 9 dozen for sharing.
- Please have the extra cookies in baggies or to-go containers for distribution. We will have a tasting of the 1 dozen cookies during the party.
- There is an electronic RSVP where you can respond with what kind of cookies you are bringing so we have a wide assortment. Only one kind of cookie will be permitted, first come, first serve. YOU MUST R.S.V.P. IN ORDER TO ATTEND. You may also RSVP directly to Tracy Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All cookies must be homemade, baked, and the main ingredient must be flour or a gluten-free alternative.
- No "no-bake" cookies. (Note: if you have something that is really special -- like rum balls -- that doesn't fit into this, call and make a case for it. We'll probably give you special permission.) The theme is "Holiday Cookies" - no chocolate chip cookies allowed - unless they are really different! I am not bringing my Spicy Frostbite Cookies this year…
- If you don't have time to bake or have ruined your cookies at the last minute but still want to attend, we ask that you go to a real bakery (NOT Randalls, H-E-B, Kroger, etc.) and buy 10 dozen yummy cookies. As she says at Robinsweb.com, "What you lack in time spent baking – you must make up for in expense."
- We'd love it if you'd bring copies of your recipe. Or, you can email your recipe directly to Tracy Cook at email@example.com and I will provide a link to everyone who attends.
Tapestry Caring Team
The following groups are currently accepting new members:
- Big Questions, Deep Listening Covenant Group
- Cooking Covenant Group
- Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans (CUUPS) Group
- Gardening Covenant Group
The Women Aligned Spirituality Group will begin accepting new members again next summer.
For more information, please see https://uutapestry.org/CovenantGroups or to suggest a new group, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
UBarU announcements for Fall 2022
Upcoming events at UBarU:
- Winter Family Camp Dec 16-19
https://www.ubaru.org for details and to register. Email email@example.com as well.
TXUUJM is HIRING & Seeking Board Members: Our state action network, Texas Unitarian Universalist Justice Ministry, has posted a job opening for a community organizer. Click for the job posting and latest TXUUJM news. The justice ministry is also seeking new board members and has opened registration for the 10th Anniversary event on Jan. 21, 2023. Stay up to date: click here to sign up to receive TXUUJM news directly.
Upcoming Events From Our Calendar:
November 29 (Tuesday), 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM: Worship Team Meeting
Worship Team is currently meeting every Tuesday via Zoom.
December 2 (Friday), 4:00 PM - 5:30 PM: Disc Golf Group Weekly Zoom Get Together
The Disc Golf Group gets together weekly on Zoom to discuss general events and other topics of mutual interest. Anyone wanting to join the group should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
December 3 (Saturday), 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM: Cooking Covenant Group
December 4 (Sunday), 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM: Birthday Sunday
December 4 (Sunday), 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Personal Transformation
This is a closed group. Please see Geoff Sanders, email@example.com, for more information.
December 5 (Monday), 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM: Board Meeting
Thank you for your interest and readership...
Newsletter editor, Tapestry Unitarian Universalist Church of Houston